Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hace frío, no? No, it's 68 degrees outside.

In Argentina, it is polite to make conversation with the man who owns your building. You know the usual hi, how are you? nonsense. Yesterday, I was getting in the elevator and Rueben (the building owner) was shutting the door for me (because we have manual elevator doors). Anyways, we were chatting and he was like, oh it's so cold today, aren't you cold? (as I was wearing yoga pants and an ECU bhangara t-shirt) and I replied no, not really. It was about 65degrees outside. And he goes, oh ok, and I said well, you are argentine, so you're not used to it. And he said oh I guess that makes sense, you are more accustomed to it. Yes, yes I am. I am so accustomed to the cold from my NC upbringing that I can handle 65degree weather, I'm just a bad ass. Also, last night it got down to about 45 degrees, hot damn, it's winter.

My last few days have been mostly filled with the usual, class, yoga, homework, walking around a lot. I have also been to the theater twice this week. Wednesday night, I went to see Much Ado about Nothing, which is Shakespeare and translated as Mucho ruido y pocas nueces. It was wonderful, it stuck mostly to the plot and I could understand mostly everything. The only differences were a few changed names, the fact that it was set on a ranch in the argentine countryside and there were many many singing gauchos (cowboys), it was almost like a musical. It was in fact one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen, but I ended up enjoying it immensely.

Then on Thursday night, I went and saw a play that I was originally supposed to go see with my literature concentration people but Mom was here, so I skipped. But I got the chance to go again, so I did. It was a play called "El pasado es un animal grotesco" or in english, "The Past is a Grotesque Animal." It was written by a young argentine author and it was very very good, or at least the parts I could understand were fabulous. And for the record, I understood most of it. Anyways, it was about the lives of four 25 year olds from 1999-2009, so ten years of their lives. The stage was constantly rotating throughout the duration of the play and there were four rooms. There were also only four actors that each switched back and forth between several characters and being narrators as well. It was quite unique but really quality theater. I enjoyed it a lot. I also bought the book, the bilingual version, if anyone is interested. It also came with a cd and the whole thing was only 25pesos, which is about $6. I am really glad I had the opportunity to go.

When I walked home last night, it was cold and I was wearing boots, and a sweater and a scarf and my leather jacket, I was immensely happy.

Also, I am currently sitting in my room, I should probably go somewhere as the housekeeper really seems to want to "clean" my room, by moving all my things around but I don't have anywhere to go right now. In a little bit, Ami and I are going to walk to meet Greg and Lindsay at a restaurant called Sarkis, which is apparently amazing and we are missing out.

Also, on Wednesday, Lindsay and I went to an all-you-can-eat vegetarian buffet in some unknown part of the city and now it is one of our new favorite places to eat. It was simply amazing.

I think that's all. I'm listening to MGMT, congratulations.

love
kristin

1 comment:

  1. So so funny my little bad ass, cold weather leather wearing tough chick!!

    ReplyDelete